2 January 2017

The Year Of Hygge


2016 brought some big changes, and along with it some big realisations. And like every new year, like many other people, I like to sit down and write out some goals. This may be study wise, for me to have a goal to try and get a 2:1 on my assignments. This might be for my blog and to continue to grow and flourish, hopefully with the help and support of all of you. But I think one I want to focus on here mainly, at the moment, is to be more focused on togetherness and appreciating the small things in life, as well as the big- of course. 

I came across this wonderful little book called 'The Little Book of Hygge', by Meik Wilking from The Happiness Research Institute. 
It made me realise that I think all of us can sometimes get caught up in daily life and everything feels so rushed that we sometimes forget how nice it is to curl up on the sofa together, with cups of tea chatting away. This is why I want to make 2017 the year of 'Hygge'

Hygge is a Danish word, or idea, that is all about being cosy, calm, and making the most of the simple things. It's been said to translate to "cosiness of the soul", "taking pleasure from the presence of soothing things" and "cosy togetherness". 

Now don't think I'm going to become a hermit for the next year and not leave my house- that's not what Hygge is about. It's all about being comfortable. Both with yourself and others. This can be done through hot bubble baths, being in your cosy lounge wear or even giving people hugs. I am a very cuddly person, so that isn't hard for me! But, in this wonderful little book, there's even a chapter about 'Hygge outside the home'. It talks about how there can be something very comforting about going for a morning stroll around the park, while you're all wrapped up in you cosy jumpers and scarves. I want to try and make time for that; once a day, even if it's only for 20 minutes, get out the house and go for a walk. Have some thinking time. 

It also talks about being present in the moment. This is something I'm often worried I don't do enough. By having my life on my laptop, be it for school work or blogging, and always having my phone so close to hand, I feel like I often miss opportunities to be fully present. This is why I'm going to make such a conscious effort to allow time without all this technology and get to basics. 

I know I may have just splurged all my thoughts, and they may not be cohesive, but here are my goals for 2017!

- To be in the moment
- To make the most of the simple pleasures in life 
- To make time for those simple pleasures and the people I love

Happy New Year to you. I hope my splurge has given you some ideas of some goals you could make for yourself. Let 2017 be the year of Hygge, I feel it might do us all a little good.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Emily
thatsjustemily.com

Blog Design Created by pipdig